Top 3 Reason to Love & Fall in Love with Hot-Dip Galvanizing
There is a lot to love about hot-dip galvanized (HDG) steel. The benefits of HDG include durability, longevity, availability, versatility, sustainability, and aesthetics. However, galvanized steel's sustainability, durability, and versatility perfectly summarize the top three reasons why the fan club for hot-dip galvanized steel is growing. The following is a list of resources we've compiled to help share the love and explain these characteristics.
- Summary - Short article overview of hot-dip galvanized steel's sustainable aspects.
- Environmental Advantages
- HDG Steel After-Fabrication Environmental Product Declaration (EPD) - Based on a life-cycle assessment (LCA). The EPD is a standardized way of quantifying the environmental impact of a product from cradle-to-gate. Available for download as a PDF.
- Economical Advantages
- Life-Cycle Cost Calculator - Uses specific project data to develop and compare the initial and life-cycle cost (initial + maintenance) of more than 30 steel corrosion protection systems (paint, metallizing) to hot-dip galvanizing and hot-dip galvanizing top-coated with paint (duplex system).
- Corrosion Resistance - A quick breakdown of hot-dip galvanizing's three levels of corrosion protection.
- Time to First Maintenance (TFM) Chart - Developed from real-world data and a corrosion prediction model, the Zinc Coating Life Predictor (ZCLP). The time to first maintenance for galvanized steel is linear and directly related to the zinc coating thickness.
- Zinc Coating Life Predictor (ZCLP) - Using statistical methods, neural network technology, and an extensive worldwide corrosion database, the ZCLP application was developed to predict the life (and corrosion rate) of zinc coatings on steel based on various atmospheric inputs.
- Coating Properties - An article explaining the three main factors contributing to hot-dip galvanizing's coating durability.
- Abundant, Efficient, & Safe - A summary of galvanized steel's availability and versatility.
- Aesthetics - An article outlining galvanized steel's captivating charm as it offers design flexibility, an attractive and natural gray finish, or a pop of color if desired with the help of paint or powder coating.
- Coating Appearance Guide/Videos
- Architecturally Exposed Structural Steel (AESS) Guide - A comprehensive PDF guide explaining how to use the AESS category systems developed by the American Institute of Steel Construction (AISC) and the Canadian Institute of Steel Construction (CISC) to facilitate communication to minimize the cost premium for achieving galvanized AESS. This guide also examines best practices to maximize hot-dip galvanizing appearance to achieve high-quality coatings when the necessary aesthetic requirements are clearly and directly communicated. Contains a table matrix guide and high-resolution sample photos.
- Painting/Powder Coating over HDG - Provides an overview of duplex-coated applications while detailing procedures for successful adhesion. Topics addressed include why hot-dip galvanized steel is painted/powder coated, benefits of duplex systems, pre-treating, surface preparation procedures, and recommendations for painting/powder coating new, partially weathered, and fully weathered surfaces.