- 78 galvanizing companies in North America (160 plants)
- 48 sustaining member companies
- 6 zinc producers/suppliers
- 42 services/product suppliers
- 23 associate galvanizing companies outside North America
- Approximately 95% of industry capacity
- Approximately 25 galvanizing companies in North America
- Approximately 5% of industry capacity
- 4.4 million tons of galvanized steel in 2016
- 30% increase since 2012
- Galvanizing operations 8,000
- Zinc Suppliers 10,000
- Service and product suppliers 2,000
- Bridge and Highway
- Recreation (Stadiums)
- 36% penetration in 2016
Structurals, fasteners, tubing, pipe, wire, nails, reinforcing steel, weldments, complex fabrications, guardrail, and posts
- Most galvanizing operations are privately held
- Sales range from $10 million to $50 million
- Most galvanizing operations do not take title to the steel they galvanize.
- These operations are called job or custom galvanizers and they provide a service.
Paint, metalizing, concrete and composites
- Cleaning the steel in a degreasing solution.
- Pickling in dilute hot sulfuric acid or ambient temperature hydrochloric solution.
- Fluxing in an aqueous solution of zinc-ammonium chloride.
- Immersing in a bath (kettle) of molten zinc.
- Inspection of material for consistent and thorough coating.
AGA members represent approximately 95% of the industry capacity. Non-members are primarily smaller galvanizers, pipe, wire and fence companies, but consolidation has changed the face of the industry in the last 8 years. There are now several multi-plant public and private operators.