Other Galvanizing Standards
There are Canadian, international, and other special specifications sometimes used to specify hot-dip galvanizing on a project. The differences in these specifications and the ASTM specifications are minimal or may direct back to the ASTM specifications. The most common differences are in minimum coating thickness/weight required for each type and thickness of product being hot-dip galvanized.
Canadian CSA Specifications
Hot-Dip Galvanizing of Irregularly Shaped Articles. CSA G164 is out-of-date, and no longer published by CSA. However, sometimes design engineers will still utilize the specification. The specification covers both unfabricated and fabricated products such as assembled steel products, structural steel fabrications, large hollow sections bent or welded before galvanizing, and wire work fabricated from uncoated steel wire. The values stated in SI units are to be regarded as the standard. The values in parentheses are imperial units and are included for information only.
Other CSA Specifications of Note:
- G40.8: Structural Steel with Improved Resistance to Brittle Fracture
- G40.12: General Purpose Structural Steel
- G40.20/G40.21: General Requirements for Rolled or Welded Structural Quality Steel
International Standards ISO Specifications
Hot-Dip Galvanized Coatings on Fabricated Iron and Steel Assemblies. ISO 1461 specifies the general properties of and methods of test for coatings applied by hot dipping in zinc (containing not more than 2% of other metals) on fabricated iron and steel articles. It is only for after-fabrication hot-dip galvanized products and does not apply to products for which specific standards exist and which may include additional requirements or requirements different from those of this European Standard.
Other Organizations Specifications
Society for Protective Coatings (SSPC) & National Association of Corrosion Engineers (NACE)
- SSPC SP2: Hand Tool Cleaning
- SSPC SP5/NACE No. 1: White Metal Blast Cleaning
- SSPC SP10/NACE No. 2: Near-White Blasting Cleaning
- SSPC SP 11: Power Tool Cleaning to Bare Metal
- SSPC-SP 16: Brush-Off Blast Cleaning of Non-Ferrous Metals
American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO)
- T65 (ASTM A90): Mass of Coating on Iron and Steel Articles with Zinc or Zinc-Alloy Coatings
- M111 (ASTM A123): Zinc (Hot-Dip Galvanized) Coatings on Iron and Steel Products
- M232 (ASTM A153): Zinc Coating (Hot-Dip) on Iron and Steel Hardware