AGA Releases Health Product Declaration (HPD)
The American Galanvizers Association (AGA) has completed two health product declarations (HPDs) for hot-dip galvanized steel products. HPDs are a requirement for building materials in LEED® v4 under the Material Ingredients credit. In North America, there are only three types of zinc used in the galvanizing kettle - Prime Western, High Grade, and Special High Grade zinc. ASTM specifications dictate hot-dip galvanizing kettles must have 98% pure zinc and because the requirement states only materials above 1000 ppm must be reported, the AGA is able to supply industry standard HPDs. The zinc coating on a hot-dip galvanized product only accounts for 2% of the mass - the other 98% would be the base steel material.
Through the Health Product Declaration Collaborative (www.hpdcollaborative.org) the AGA has created two HPDs for hot-dip galvanized steel. The material content information is nearly identical for High Grade and Special High Grade zinc, so there is one HPD for products galvanized in those kettles, and a separate HPD for galvanized products with Prime Western Zinc in their kettles. You can view the HPDs here:
- Hot-Dip Galvanized Steel - High Grade/Special High Grade Zinc HPD
- Hot-Dip Galvanized Steel - Prime Western Zinc HPD
Please contact the AGA if you have any further questions.